Sunday, April 7, 2013

Torando's



My life in the last year has been in a "tornado" state.  Spinning slowly at some moments and out of control at others.   Who would have known that the actions of others could put my life into such a tornado?

Tornado's are dark and scary and can be deadly if you do not heed the warnings and get out.  If we just step out of the tornado the destruction can not hurt us.  I remember last May I was blowing drying my hair, wondering what I was to do with the mess that had been handed to my family. 

Clear as day I heard "just step out of the Tornado!" 

I recalled a lesson in church, seminary, or maybe even family home evening about Tornado's.  The teacher explained that he was in an area where tornado's were very common place, and while driving down the road he heard on the radio the announcer explaining a tornado warning.  Letting people know to get off the road, and to go lay in a ditch, so the tornado could pass by them.  Not knowing if this was the best course of action he followed the direction of someone he knew was better prepared for the road ahead.  He likened this story unto our journey though this life.  Sometimes we need to heed the warnings of a loving Heavenly Father who knows the road ahead a little better and is a little wiser than us. 

At that moment while blow drying my hair I knew what I was going to do.  Step away from the mess that we had been given.  This was going to be a trial, but if I allowed my Heavenly Father to lead me in the right direction.  One that would keep my family and myself safe and sheltered from the storm.  The tornado would pass, throwing garbage, and carnage with it, but my family would be safe. Our testimonies would not be shaken and our family would be a stronger family.  Tornado's can be deadly, just like the trial my family was facing could be eternally and spiritually deadly if I did not obey the Lords council.

I thought that because I came to this knowledge quickly the "tornado" would be over quickly. 

Life is like that!

We think we know the plan, only to find out that the plan we laid out is not the same plan the Lord had in mind.  Sometimes it is easy to say "I would like some say in this Lord" or "remember I wanted ___________"  or my favorite " I am doing what you asked of me now where are my blessings!"  It is hard to let the Lord be our radio announcer telling us the best course of action to go.  I know the Lord knows what is best for me, but I am stubborn and strong willed and I want things NOW!!

Just like a tornado that takes minutes to destroy things, but weeks, months or even years to clean up after.  So too is the "Tornado's" and trials of our lives. If we chose to remove our selves from the mess and just clean up after we will be better in the end. 

I hope and pray that my life will be a little calmer as the months turn into years.

I know that if life continues to be a storm, but if I turn my radio up and listen to my announcer, all will be well in the end.  He will not let me fail.  He has too much love for me, for my children and for others along the way.  He wants nothing more than to welcome us home with open arms.  I know that he has the road map, he knows the stumbling blocks that others will put in my path, and he knows through him we can get over them.

1 comment:

  1. I have a wise friend who has a mantra (I think I've added a little as well). Heavenly Father lives. Heavenly Father knows me. Heavenly Father wants me to be happy. Heavenly Father has a plan. Heavenly Father has a PLAN! Repeat as often as required to help the hyperventilating to stop!!

    ReplyDelete