Wednesday, April 24, 2013

I took the one less traveled by


The Road Not Taken
       By: Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I marked the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.



This poem has been in my head for the past few days.  I remember memorizing it in 11th grade English.  Every once in a while it will just pop into my head, along with other poems I have had to memorize over the years.  This time it has been constant.  Almost daily for the last week I have been repeating this poem over and over.  Maybe it is because I am making some big choices lately. 

I am taking the road less traveled. 

We have been trying to sell our home for the last 7 months.  It has been the worst winter for house sales in the last ten years.  We have had showing after showing.  We put new carpet in, painted all the walls and made my house the best it has looked in the 8 years I have lived here.  It is still hard to think that today maybe the day, and once again it is not.  My three year old asks daily "do we have a house showing today?"  It is really taking a toll on all of us.  We even had a house lined up to move into but because it is taking do long that fell through.  

So about a month ago as my husband I contemplated on what would be the best situation for our family.

We chose the road less traveled by.

We are moving back to my in-laws!!!

It is not our first choice...or third...or fifteenth.  It is the BEST CHOICE!

Sometimes being a parent means picking the hard choice.  Our family has been through a lot in the last year.  People are cruel to my kids.  We do not feel welcomed or safe in our neighborhood, or at school or most shockingly at our church.  To tell the truth we have not been to our ward for almost a year!  We just go to my parents or brothers ward.  We live in a good community and there are good people around us, but the ones who want us out, the ones who are cruel and mean to us are much louder.  Being a mama bear I NEED to do what is best for my kids.

So we are packing up and moving out!  We are hoping I will not loose my sanity by always having to pile kids and a great Dane into the car every time we have a showing.  We are feeling welcomed at our new ward. The kids are excited to go to primary with their friends that they have only known for a few short weeks. They feel welcomed and loved by everyone there. My children can't wait to go to a new school, with their new friends.  They want to go to scout camps, and young men's, and school with these friends that are so kind and Christ like to them.   Feeling welcomed and loved is the greatest feeling. 

This has not been an easy choice, but we know it is the best choice.   It is amazing to me that as soon as we took that small leap of faith our house showings sky rocketed.  We had 22 showings in 9 days!!!!  I can see the lords hand working in all of this.  I just need to have the faith that it is the right move.  It saddens me to think that I am moving away from my home, my friends and the place I grew to love.  I know it is for the best, I just wish it all could be different. 

I wish that others could see that I am doing what my husband and I think is the best thing for our family.  We are not acting rash.  This has come with a lot of prayer and thought and determination to do what is the best thing for my kids.  Someone asked if I could just let things go and stay here and everything would work itself out.  My answer was we could stay, if we did not participate in church, school or neighborhood activities.  If my children did not talk or play with anyone.  That is no way to live.  Children should feel like they can ride their bikes, or play with the neighbor.  Even go to school or church with out having to worry about what others will say about them. 


These are my children, God in trusted them to me to do what was right for them.  It will be in my hands if they fall away from our faith.  I will do what is best for them....NO matter the cost.  If that means moving to another city, state, country, or planet I would do it for my children. 

So this will be hard....I am trying to see all the silver linings....and The Lord's hand in all things.  I know one day I will be repeating this last stanza~

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

1 comment: