Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Boys to MEN

To tell you the truth I do not remember a lot of my brothers growing up.  My brothers are both younger than me.  When I got married they were 13 and 8!  So I saw them grow into men on the side lines.  One day I showed up and my brother was taller than me.  I just thought boys laid on the couch watching t.v, smelled funny and ate a lot.  I figured boys were easier to raise because by brothers never yelled and screamed like my sister and I did.  I don't remember my brothers studying for test,  or asking girls out on dates, or talking on the phone to their "girlfriends".  By the time these things started to happen I was married and had a little boy of my own!

The funny thing is growing up I  would rather be with a bunch of boys doing fun things then with one girl and all her drama.  I had friends that were girls in school, but I was more comfortable with my guy friends.  Maybe this is why I have 5 boys and one very tom-boy little girl.  Boys are fun, they are full of energy, they have very little drama, and they are always an adventure.

The thing I never realized growing up was how hard it is to raise a boy to become a MAN!  Naturally as they grow older they will become a grown up boy, but I want my boys to be men.  I want my boys to open doors for little old ladies, and hug their mama, and treat each other with kindness.  I want my daughter in laws to thank me because my sons know how to cook, and change a tire and a diaper, and how to love her unconditionally. 

THIS IS HARD!!

We live in a world were we plug into everything.  We don't need a job because things are handed to us.  We don't need to work hard because mom and dad will pay for school, or our house, or car, or x-box, etc.  We teach our children to think only of themselves, and they become self centered and selfish.  Then we throw them out into the real world and hope they can swim. 

The hardest part is what the world and others throw at our children.  We hear everyday about children being bullied, or committing suicide.  It is said it takes a village to raise a child, I believe it is also true that it takes only a few to destroy a child.  What happens when that village will not stand up and buffer that child from the hurt and pain.  They keep it inside and start to believe they are ugly, stupid, mean, wrong, or whatever else they have been told over and over again.  They start to believe that voice that tells them they will become nothing.  Maybe they should not be here.  Life would be better with out them.  These precious children loose faith in themselves!

As a mother this is our greatest challenge to raise sons who will become great men despite of the world around them.  To say I am lucky to have 5 boys is the truth.  It scares me right to death, but I have never backed down from a challenge yet. 

One of my greatest joys turns 14 in a few short hours!  I worry over him, not because he is not GREAT, but because I have messed up so much along the way.  He is a GREAT BIG BROTHER (even if teasing is part of the package), he is SMART, and FUNNY and KIND.  He will play chess with his sister over and over, and always let her win.  He wants his brothers to play video games with him, and will even get mad when they don't.  He is a good friend, a good scout and a GREAT YOUNG MAN!  He thinks he is funny when he tells me my arms are flabby, even if he knows I am stronger than him.  He loves to gloat in the fact he is taller than me...and will surpass his dad any day now.  He has had to endure being bullied, and lied about behind his back and to his face. Despite all of this he is a wonderful kid that I am lucky enough to call mine! 


Fourteen years ago when they laid his little life into my arms I was amazed that the Lord in trusted me with him.  I continue to be amazed!  The Lord knew that I needed him as much as he needed me.  He has taught me how to be patient and loving and kind to all, even to those that try to destroy him.  He has taught me how to laugh and cry and yell and whisper.  He makes my heart hurt for him.  I remember watching the Columbine High school shooting just a few days after he came home from the hospital.  I could not imagine bringing a baby into the horrific world of that moment.  As life has gone on and the horrific images keep coming my heart breaks for him.  I know the road ahead will not be easy.  I know it will be full of evil and chaos.  I also know that because of Parker the world will be a better place.  I know that as he becomes a man great things will continue to happen.  He does know how to cook, change a baby diaper (still working on the tire), and love unconditionally.  He is such an example to me of greatness.  He is nothing short of a disciple of Christ, he shows love to everyone.  To say that I am thankful for him seems so silly, but I am truely thankful to be his mother.  He has made me a better person and I hope one day he will be able to say the same about me.

Happy Birthday my baby boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment