Saturday, April 13, 2013

Imperfection


I AM NOT PERFECT!
I have NEVER claimed to be!
And I NEVER (at least in this life) WILL BE!!

Sometimes I get mad, sometimes my house is not clean, sometimes I yell at my kids, sometimes I get so frustrated I cry, sometimes I forget to do what needs to get done, sometimes I want to run people over with my car (I have never done it...I just want to), sometimes I throw the dirty clothes into the dryer so the house looks clean, sometimes I do things that I am not proud of.  I am imperfect!  I am imperfect!! I am a daughter of my Heavenly Father and He LOVES ME....even if I am imperfect!

There once was a time (not all that long ago) that I was told by someone that I thought I had a perfect life, a perfect family and a perfect faith in the gospel.  They explained that I was so blind as to what was really going on in my "perfectness" that I could not see that I was a bad person. 

It broke my heart in two.

Not because I thought I was perfect, but because this person had in her head that I thought I was prefect!

I am FAR from it!

Sometimes I wonder why she thought those things about me?  Do I act like I am perfect?  Do I try to make people believe I am perfect?  Have a said or done something to imply that I am perfect?

If you know me (ask my kids) I am far from perfect.  I try to be the best I can, but many times I fall short.  I like to have my kids dressed cute, hair done on time.  But today I walked around the store with no make-up on, Annie did not have her hair done and Q had no shoes on! 

Sounds PERFECT to me!

The funny thing is that while trying to figure out why this lady thought I believed I was perfect.  I was reminded that it is not HER that I need to be perfect for!!  Heavenly Father deals with my imperfections and he loves me anyway.  If she can not be kind, or Christ like towards me because I am too perfect for her, good riddance.  I have my husband, my children and more friends than I deserve and my Heavenly Father who knows I am NOT perfect and LOVES me anyway!

I loved this quote by President Holland


Do you ever wonder if Heavenly Father looks at us and gets mad that we are forget to do the small stuff?  Let alone the big things? 

If being imperfect is all God has to work with then why would we be any different?  Should we not be loving and kind and Christ like to everyone we meet? 

Even if they think they are perfect!!!

Or even if they think that you think you are perfect!
Why do we allow ourselves to be beat up by the fact we are not perfect?  And why does it matter?  Have you ever noticed that people want to only show the "perfect" sides of ourselves?  People never post pictures of themselves looking tired or warn out or in their not cute p.j.'s.  We only show the world the 5 good family pictures not the 150 of kids looking this way or that, picking noses or yelling at their brother.  It is human nature to only want to show our "perfect" side.

I do it too!

 I am pretty sure that nobodies kids look like the just stepped out of a gap commercial all the time!  Why is it so hard to be real?  Do we not want people to see our failures?  Do we think that others will judge us when all of our children don't look like the gap commercial?  Do we think that we will be judged for not being the perfect person, the perfect mom or having the perfect family?

The bigger question is why do we care?

How can we be like Christ if we think we are more perfect than anyone else?  How can we be like Christ if we continually judge others in any manner?   How can we be more like Christ if all we look at is our imperfections or the imperfections of others?

I believe part of our mission here on earth is to become perfect like Christ.  I also believe that part of that is dropping the "perfectness" out of our lives.  If we constantly try to do better, if we are always striving to live a little better and to be a better person we will reach perfection. 

JUST NOT TODAY!
So here is my not perfect picture taken by my three year old.  My nose sure looks HUGE in this pic!





 



No comments:

Post a Comment